Skip to main content

Cottage Oven

  • A while back, I called the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services and spoke with Melissa Durkin (who has since moved to another position).

    At the time, she said that, officially, there is nothing in Florida’s cottage-food law specifically prohibiting shipping out of state – only that the current law (contrary to the past) now…[Read more]

  • Cottage Oven replied to the topic LLC in the forum Florida 6 months, 2 weeks ago

    Since this is in the Florida forum, rather than California, I’ll throw in my two-cents’ worth.

    In Florida, you can register an LLC quickly and easily online at Sunbiz and it only costs $125.00 each year (with a couple of options that could add up to $35.00 more). Far less than the California numbers mentioned in the Forrager FAQ.

    One of the…[Read more]

  • For a definitive answer, go to, search for “cottage foods” and download the PDF file they have there. In it, you will find a Tallahassee phone number you can call to get an official answer to your question.

    Apart from that, if it is a powdered non-dairy creamer, the resulting glaze should probably be okay for cottage food.…[Read more]

  • Here’s something for discussion: Some cities, states and even countries have been banning “single-use” plastic items, including some of the things that we, as cottage-food operations, use for packaging products and samples.

    In many cases, these bans focus upon plastic grocery bags and drinking straws, but some include fast-food packaging and…[Read more]

  • As Davide mentioned: Definitely nothing with garlic in oil unless properly acidified, due to the risk of botulism.

    THIS and have instructions for the acidification, but you should check your own state’s requirements, just in case.

  • Cottage Oven replied to the topic business license in the forum Indiana 1 year ago

    Not sure about Indiana but, in general (using Florida as an example), you may need to get what some places call and “occupational license” or other places call a “business tax receipt” for conducting business in a certain city and/or county. If you sell in multiple locations that are not all in the same city or county, you may need business tax…[Read more]

  • Cottage Oven replied to the topic Empanadas in the forum Florida 2 years, 1 month ago

    From the “Cottage Food Guidance” PDF file available from the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services website:

    Can I make and sell foods with meat fillings such as empanadas?
    No. Meat products or foods with meat fillings are not allowed.

    Thus, she may NOT sell them from her home. The sale of meat-filled empanadas requires a…[Read more]

  • Sorry, Carol, there never was a reply to this and I have not found any pre-printed labels that were inexpensive enough for me to switch from using my laser printer.

    Maybe we’ll be lucky and these two new messages in the thread will catch the eye of someone who can point us to a good source.

  • Please update the Florida page in the “Laws” section of the site to reflect the changes that went into effect July 1, 2021. It’s already mentioned in the “2021 Cottage Food Bills” page, but the “Laws” page still […]

  • Cottage Oven posted a new activity comment 2 years, 7 months ago

    Check with any county and city in which you sell (possibly more than one if you are in multiple farmers markets) to see if you need to get a Business Tax Receipt (formerly known as an Occupational License). In some cases you may need it, but in some cases it’s possible you may come under the market where you sell.

    Also, don’t just show up at a…[Read more]

  • Cottage Oven replied to the topic Help, please! in the forum Florida 2 years, 7 months ago

    You should probably check with a lawyer or someone in Tallahassee, just in case, but, as far as I know, when you register the name of your LLC on Sunbiz, it’s already done, but a DBA is a separate thing if you are using a name other than your own without having an LLC (or Inc).

    I don’t know if there’s any rule against using your LLC’s name…[Read more]

  • Although most states’ cottage-food laws do not allow shipping, some do. In particular, the new changes in Florida do allow shipping.

    That means I am now permitted to ship my products to customers without being restricted only to farmers markets, etc.

    How does one determine how to set up the shipping charges on a website? Do any of you have…[Read more]

  • Each state sets its limitations and usually posts that information somewhere. For example, in Florida, it is handled by the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. Their website is and if you type “cottage food” into their search bar, you’ll get a link to the basic information…[Read more]

  • I tried asking this (as a sample chart of accounts) a couple of years ago, but never got any real responses. Since then, I have started using Wave Accounting and it has been VERY easy to use.

    Here are my expense categories from Wave. Much of this is from the default categories initially provided by Wave, but some are categories I have added to…[Read more]

  • Bags would certainly be less expensive than bottles.

    The thing to compare would be bulk prices on small zipper-closure bags versus some kind of bag where you would use a heat (“impulse”) sealer. For my baked goods, I use plastic food bags and a heat sealer ($30 – $50 on Amazon). Of course, you could use something like a Foodsaver or…[Read more]

  • After having two tents in five years and not being very happy with their durability, I am looking for a new tent. Some of what I see on Amazon look and sound good, but I’m wondering what you Forrager members have found to be the sturdiest, most durable, and least problematic tents without having to spend a small fortune.

    One market I attend uses…[Read more]

  • Don’t know about California – I’m in Florida, but the following may be helpful as some general guidelines to help you find the answers that would be specific to California.

    Here, in Florida, most items sold under cottage-food law would NOT be taxable, but CANDY is ALWAYS taxable. Thus, bread, cookies, cakes, muffins, etc. would not be taxed but…[Read more]

  • Sandy, in which state are you starting your cottage-food business. Some require inspections and some don’t. It’s also possible that some municipalities may require inspections, even if the state does not.

  • Load More