Skip to main content


  • Michelle D Perez posted an update in the group Virginia 1 year, 4 months ago

    questions on the home food processing exemptions
    Hello everyone! I am trying to navigate the requirements to sell baked goods under the food processing exemptions. I see that we cannot sell on-line (from my understanding, you can advertise but not conduct any money transactions on-line), we do not have to pay the annual $40 to VDACS but I cannot tell if you still have to register as a business, if you have to charge taxes or who to report to. I will be living in Petersburg. Also, I have tried to contact VDACS multiple times (e-mail and phone) and am not getting any responses. I am trying to figure out if I can use buttercream on my cakes and cupcakes or use meringue powder in my royal icing for my cookies. Does anyone have a good contact or information that can help me or point me in the right direction? Thank you!

    • There’s a good chance that you need to get a general business license from your city or county, and they might be able to answer tax questions. Since you can’t get ahold of the ag dept, I’d recommend starting selling and not waiting on them. I have not heard of any specific restrictions against using buttercream frosting or using meringue powder.