Skip to main content

Oklahoma Honey Can you legally sell food from home in Oklahoma?

Cottage Food Law

Rather than integrating it into their cottage food laws, Oklahoma has a separate law that allows for the sale of honey for small-scale producers. The “Oklahoma Honey Sales Act” (SB 716) lets beekeepers sell directly to customers at different venues, if they produce less than 500 gallons of honey per year. They may not sell indirectly (such as through a retail store) and the honey must be unaltered, but they do not have to register or get inspected by the health department. This law went into effect on July 1st, 2013.

Selling Where can you sell homemade food products?

Only the beekeeper or members of the family can sell the honey.

Starting a cottage food business?


How To Start A Cottage Food Business

Allowed Foods What food products can you sell from home?

The honey cannot be combined with other products — it must be raw.

Only "non-potentially hazardous" foods are allowed, but certain non-PHFs may not be allowed. Most foods that don't need to be refrigerated (foods without meat, cheese, etc.) are considered non-potentially hazardous. Learn more

Limitations How will your home food business be restricted?


The producer cannot produce more than 500 gallons of honey per year.

Labeling How do you label cottage food products?

Sample Label

Chocolate Chip Cookies

"Bottled or packaged in a facility not inspected by the Oklahoma Department of Health"

Forrager Cookie Company

123 Chewy Way, Cookietown, OK 73531

Phone: (123) 456-7890

NET WT 2 lb 4 oz (1.02 kg)

Resources Where can you find more information about this law?

Law Dates
July 2013
SB 716

This page was last updated on

Is there something wrong on this page? Please contact us to let us know!

Starting a cottage food business?


How To Start A Cottage Food Business

Oklahoma Forum Got questions? Join the discussion

Home Forums Oklahoma Oklahoma

This forum contains 15 topics and 19 replies, and was last updated by  Mattie Bowling 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 topics - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
Viewing 10 topics - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.

or to ask a question or create a new discussion topic


    I don’t think it matters. Usually the front label (known as the principal display panel) only needs to have the product name (honey) and net weight. It may also need to have the “not inspected” statement, but I’m not sure about that.

I helped create the Oklahoma Cottage Food Law with the help of Rep. Dustin Roberts in Oklahoma City. I am trying to help women in our area to start up their own businesses. Do you have any suggestions or ideas that would help us get the word out. We live in a rural area and income is low here, but that is not stopping us.

Comments are closed. Please use the forum above to ask a question or leave a comment.