Skip to main content

New Mexico Can you legally sell food from home in New Mexico?

Cottage Food Law

For many years, New Mexico had the most complex cottage food law of any state.

However, in 2021 they passed the Homemade Food Act (HB 177), which greatly improved their law.

Now producers can sell most non-perishable foods directly anywhere in the state, and there is no sales limit. Indirect sales (retail stores, restaurants, etc) are not allowed.

Before this new law, Albuquerque prohibited homebased food processors altogether. This law prevents them (or other cities) from restricting these businesses, although they can require them to get a permit to operate.

Selling Where can you sell homemade food products?

Starting a cottage food business?


How To Start A Cottage Food Business

Allowed Foods What food products can you sell from home?

The NM Environment Department provides a list of foods that you cannot sell.

Only "non-potentially hazardous" foods are allowed, but certain non-PHFs may not be allowed. Most foods that don't need to be refrigerated (foods without meat, cheese, etc.) are considered non-potentially hazardous. Learn more

Limitations How will your home food business be restricted?

There is no sales limit

Business What do you need to do to sell food from home?

Food Safety Training

You must take an approved food safety training course, such as Learn2Serve’s Food Handler Training, which costs $7 and takes a couple hours to complete online.


In most areas, a permit is not required, but some areas may require a permit to operate.

Labeling How do you label cottage food products?

Sample Label

Chocolate Chip Cookies

"This product is home produced and is exempt from state licensing and inspection. This product may contain allergens."

Forrager Cookie Company

123 Chewy Way, Cookietown, NM 73531

Phone: (123) 456-7890


Ingredients: enriched flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), butter (cream, salt), semi-sweet chocolate (sugar, chocolate, cocoa butter, milkfat, soy lecithin, natural flavors), brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, vanilla extract (vanilla bean extract, alcohol, sugar), baking soda, salt (salt, calcium silicate)

You must put this labeling information on:

  • Your packaged products
  • A bulk container, if you sell your products in bulk
  • A placard at the point of sale, if your products are not packaged nor sold in bulk
  • Your website, if you sell your products online

If you sell your products by telephone or custom order, a label is not required, but you must tell the customer that the product is homemade and may contain allergens, and that your home kitchen is exempt from state licensing and inspection requirements.

Workplace Are there any home kitchen requirements?

The New Mexico Environment Department specifies these production requirements:

  • Maintain a sanitary kitchen
  • Practice good personal hygiene
  • Protect kitchen from rodents and pests at all times. Only use pest control products in accordance with the label and that are approved for food service areas.
  • Keep pets and children out of kitchen while in production
  • Store food in a sanitary manner at all times
  • Transport food in a sanitary manner, protecting it from pets, children and other hazards. For example, vehicle compartments used to transport animals must not be used to transport food.

Resources Where can you find more information about this law?

New Mexico Environment Department
New Mexico Environmental Health Bureau

Johnathan Gerhardt

Food Program
New Mexico Environmental Health Bureau
121 Tijeras, NE, Ste. 1000
Albuquerque, NM 87102
Law Dates
January 2010 NMAC
July 2021
HB 177

This page was last updated on

Is there something wrong on this page? Please contact us to let us know!

Starting a cottage food business?


How To Start A Cottage Food Business

New Mexico Forum Got questions? Join the discussion

Home Forums New Mexico

This forum contains 2 topics and 4 replies, and was last updated by  Giouli 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 topics - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 topics - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.

or to ask a question or create a new discussion topic