Skip to main content


Nevada’s cottage food law (SB 206) allows many different types of food products to be sold, but it is restricted in most other ways. Cottage food operators must make all of their sales in-person, and they are limited to $35,000 of sales per year.

There are four health districts that register cottage food operations in the state. Before an operation can sell in a region, they must be registered with that region’s health district. Some districts charge for registration, while others offer it for free.


Internet or phone sales are only allowed when the product gets exchanged in-person.

You may offer food samples at events, but they must be prepared in individual, closed, disposable containers at your home, and the samples may only be opened by the consumer. If you want to offer samples in an open container, then you need to get a temporary food permit.

You can sell anywhere in the state, but you must get registered in districts that are outside your own if you sell there. See the business section for more details.

Allowed Foods

Baked doughnuts are also allowed. Some types of drinks made from dry mixes are allowed, like iced tea or Kool-Aid.

Jams, jellies, and other preserves cannot contain vegetables. Home-canned goods cannot not be used in any of your products.

Flavored vinegars have some special requirements.

Only "non-potentially hazardous" foods are allowed, but certain non-PHFs may not be allowed. Most foods that don't need to be refrigerated (foods without meat, cheese, etc.) are considered non-potentially hazardous. Learn more


Sales are limited to $35,000 per year



You must register with the health department in your district. There are four districts: Southern NevadaWashoe County (FAQs), Carson City, and everywhere else. To sell in every part of the state, you would need to register in all four districts.

Registration in most counties is free, but some have a fee — for example, in Clark County, the fee is $160.

Temporary Health Permit

If you want to offer samples at an event, you may need to get a temporary health permit from your environmental health department. However, if you pre-portion and package samples at home for customers to open themselves, you do not need a temporary health permit.

Even though it is not required, the health department encourages CFOs to get some form of food safety training.


Sample Label

Chocolate Chip Cookies


Forrager Cookie Company

123 Chewy Way, Cookietown, NV 73531

Ingredients: enriched flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), butter (cream, salt), semi-sweet chocolate (sugar, chocolate, cocoa butter, milkfat, soy lecithin, natural flavors), brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, vanilla extract (vanilla bean extract, alcohol, sugar), baking soda, salt (salt, calcium silicate)

Contains: milk, eggs, wheat, soy

NET WT 2 lb 4 oz (1.02 kg)


In addition to the home, some health departments may also allow food to be prepared in other kitchens, like those in colleges, churches, and some non-profit organizations.


Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health
Robert Stulac
[email protected]
(775) 687-7532
(775) 687-7551
4150 Technology Way, Ste 101
Carson City, NV 89706
Law Dates
July 2013
SB 206

This page was last updated on

Is there something wrong on this page? Please let us know! You can submit changes through this form.



I’m currently trying to get my cottage food operation up and running in Las Vegas, NV. I’ve already created an LLC, registered with the state, and registered with the health department. I recently tried to apply for a business license under one of the jurisdictions, but they told me I can’t operate under my LLC because it’s not a “natural person”. They weren’t 100% sure though. Any thoughts on this?


I want to start a bake sale for charity. Can I?
I want to give away the cookies for free and if they like the cookies, they can donate money to be given to the Animal Shelter. Also, can I ship cookies in sealed bags and containers and the receiving person will pay for the shipping making the cookies for free, again? Can I bake these cookies in my home since I am not selling the actual product.

can you sell clone trees and plants and how to get a permit to sell and pay any taxes don’t want to get the irs looking for me.

Very helpful website; thank you! Is there a way to add information to this website? There are many more venues where Cottage Food Vendors are selling in Nevada than are not yet listed here. Also, Nevada now has a separate law to accomodate those who would like to produce pickles and salsa in home kitchens and then sell them, but those products require some training and registration through the Nevada Dept of Agriculture rather than through the Health Districts. I can send details if you would be interested in providing a link to the requirements for pickles and salsas? Thanks again.

    Thanks for letting me know about the pickle bill, which was passed over a year ago but somehow escaped my attention. I found the bill and will update this page soon.

    As for the CFO directory on this site, it is entirely up to individual vendors to list themselves. The directory is not intended to be a complete listing of vendors, as nice as that would be.

or comment as a guest
* required (your email will not be displayed on the site)
Allowed tags