Skip to main content

Maryland On-Farm Home Processing Can you legally sell food from home in Maryland?

Cottage Food Law

This state's cottage food law is restricted, so it is not available to everyone!

Maryland allows farmers to get a special On-Farm Home Processing License to sell certain types of homemade food.

However, most people use Maryland’s cottage food law (which does not require a permit or training from the health department) to sell their homemade food.

This older law is useful for farmers who:

  • Want to sell food products that the cottage food law does not allow (pickles, dried fruit, flavored honey, etc)
  • Want to sell indirectly to restaurants or retail stores
  • Want to sell their products in other states
  • Have reached the cottage food law’s $25,000 sales limit

If none of the above applies to you, then it should be easier to start your business with the cottage food law.

With an On-Farm Home Processing License, farmers can sell certain types of non-perishable foods (including acidified foods) through any venue, but they are limited to $40,000 of sales. Farmers who sell acidified foods must take a training course from a Better Process School.

Selling Where can you sell homemade food products?

See a directory of farmers markets on this interactive map.

Starting a cottage food business?


How To Start A Cottage Food Business

Allowed Foods What food products can you sell from home?

You can use this law to sell herb-infused honey and vinegars.

Only "non-potentially hazardous" foods are allowed, but certain non-PHFs may not be allowed. Most foods that don't need to be refrigerated (foods without meat, cheese, etc.) are considered non-potentially hazardous. Learn more

Limitations How will your home food business be restricted?

Sales are limited to $40,000 per year

Business What do you need to do to sell food from home?

On-Farm Home Processing License

An On-Farm Home Processing License costs $30. To apply for a license, contact the health department.

If you are only selling baked goods, naturally acid canned foods (jams, jellies, fruit butters, some canned fruits, etc), and unflavored honey from your farm or at a farmers market, you do not need to get this license. However, if you are selling acid foods, you may need to get an evaluation from the health department. All indirect sales (to restaurants and retail stores) require this license.

Better Process School Training Course

If you make canned acidified foods (e.g. pickles, green beans, etc), you must take a training course from a Better Process School. To find an approved course, contact the health department.

Workplace Are there any home kitchen requirements?

Ingredients and products for your business must be kept separate from those for personal use.

Resources Where can you find more information about this law?

Health & Mental Hygiene
Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
(410) 767-8400
(410) 333-8931
6 St. Paul Street, Suite 1301
Baltimore, MD 21202
Law Dates
February 2005
On-Farm Food Processing
June 2006
SB 1049

This page was last updated on

Is there something wrong on this page? Please contact us to let us know!

Starting a cottage food business?


How To Start A Cottage Food Business

Maryland Forum Got questions? Join the discussion

Home Forums Maryland

This forum contains 15 topics and 15 replies, and was last updated by  Jillian 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 topics - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
Viewing 10 topics - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.

or to ask a question or create a new discussion topic