Skip to main content

Alaska Can you legally sell food from home in Alaska?

Cottage Food Law

Alaska’s cottage food law is fairly flexible, though only direct, in-person sales are allowed, and producers are limited to $25,000 of sales per year. The law allows most non-potentially hazardous foods, including many items that are not allowed in other states, like soda and some types of fruit juices. Some higher-risk products need to be tested to ensure they are safe, which costs about $20 – $30 per product, and each producer must get a business license, which costs $50 per year.

The Municipality of Anchorage has their own ordinance for their food program, so this law may not apply there.

Selling Where can you sell homemade food products?

The person selling the product needs to know detailed info about the product, including the ingredients used and how the food was prepared.

Starting a cottage food business?


How To Start A Cottage Food Business

Allowed Foods What food products can you sell from home?

Prohibited Foods

Any food is allowed as long as it is non-potentially hazardous (meaning it has the right combination of pH value and water activity level). However, certain items require lab testing to determine their pH and/or Aw values. Please see the list of allowed foods for more info on what’s required for specific items.

Only berry and rhubarb juices are allowed.

Only "non-potentially hazardous" foods are allowed, but certain non-PHFs may not be allowed. Most foods that don't need to be refrigerated (foods without meat, cheese, etc.) are considered non-potentially hazardous. Learn more

Limitations How will your home food business be restricted?

Sales are limited to $25,000 per year

Business What do you need to do to sell food from home?

Business License

All cottage food operations need to get a business license before starting their business, which costs $50 per year.

No license from the health department is required.

Labeling How do you label cottage food products?

Sample Label

Chocolate Chip Cookies


Forrager Cookie Company

123 Chewy Way, Cookietown, AK 73531

Phone: (123) 456-7890

The label must go on each product, but the statement “THESE PRODUCTS ARE NOT SUBJECT TO STATE INSPECTION” can either be placed on the label or on a prominent placard at the point of sale. However, if making the food in a commercial kitchen, this statement is not necessary.

The name, address, and phone number can be replaced with your business license number.

Workplace Are there any home kitchen requirements?

Cottage food operations are allowed to make their products in a commercial kitchen, as well as their home kitchen.

Resources Where can you find more information about this law?

Environmental Conservation
Department of Environmental Conservation
Environmental Health - Food Safety & Sanitation
University of Alaska Fairbanks
(907) 474-5211
308 Tanana Loop, Room 101
P.O. Box 756180
Fairbanks, Alaska 99775-6180
Department of Environmental Conservation
Environmental Health
(907) 375-8231
5251 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue
Anchorage, AK 99507-1293
For product testing
Law Dates
June 2012
Alaska Food Code Amendment

This page was last updated on

Is there something wrong on this page? Please contact us to let us know!

Starting a cottage food business?


How To Start A Cottage Food Business

Alaska Forum Got questions? Join the discussion

Home Forums Alaska

This forum contains 3 topics and 2 replies, and was last updated by  David Crabill 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 topics - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Viewing 3 topics - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.

or to ask a question or create a new discussion topic


Do cottage food laws apply to livestock, live or processed? If not are there laws in Alaska allowing the sale of livestock without a business license?

    It does not apply to livestock. That is governed by its own rules, and I believe you would likely need a business license and as well other licenses/requirements. You should contact the ag dept.

Comments are closed. Please use the forum above to ask a question or leave a comment.