Skip to main content



This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Crabill 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • #13964

    john elkins

    I make a vinegar based salsa. How would this work under Wyoming law? Would I be subject to other laws if I canned the salsa?

    Thank you



    David Crabill

    John, you may be able to can the salsa under Wyoming’s cottage food law, assuming that your salsa has a pH of 4.6 or below. You would need to check with the ag dept (Dean – 307-777-6587 or Linda – 307-777-6592) to see if they would allow salsa in general, or if your product needs to be tested. You wouldn’t be able to sell the salsa uncanned.

    You wouldn’t need to abide by any other state laws, but there may be local laws that you need to follow, such as getting a business license or another local permit. Check with your planning division to see if there are any other restrictions. Good luck!


    john elkins


    I call “Linda” and was informed that no one has been able to get salsa cleared as a cottage industry. She advised that due to the acidity it would require a commercial process and continuous testing. Guess I’ll have to look elsewhere.

    Thank you for the numbers and your prompt reply


    David Crabill

    Thanks for the response and that’s good to know, though it is possible to make salsa in a way that is non-potentially hazardous. It sounds like the dept is generally staying away from salsas at this time, which are known (along with other canned vegetables) to be one of the most risky cottage foods.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.