Skip to main content

Kitchen & Equipment

Wilton Candy melting pot

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  clara max 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Troy Spruill

I have recently purchased one but have not had much success with it. The heat is way to high on the “melt” setting(in the neighborhood of 150+). I did find a customer review that cautioned about the heat setting and recommended the “warm” setting to melt, but even that is to hot (I think(130+). Any one use this and have similar issues or did I just get a Hot one?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Sorry, I don’t have any experience with those. Have you tried asking on the Wilton discussion forums?

Troy Spruill

I did. They suggested using an additive to thin out the mixture. That doesn’t really address the heat issue plus it kinda defeats the purpose of buying a pot whose sole purpose is to melt chocolate to a pourable state.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Well I have no experience with melting pots, but I know that chocolate melts at 90 degrees or below. I found some info online that indicates that you probably don’t have a faulty machine:

“There are two “on” settings, one is “melt” and the other is “warm”, although they are not labeled (the furthest to the right is the higher of the settings). The chips actually melt faster than you think on “melt”. The key is not letting it get too hot. When the chips start to look a little shiny on top, they are melted beneath that layer. A good thermometer will help you keep an eye on the temperature, which you really don’t want much above 100. As soon as I’m sure it’s about 75% melted, I take it off the heat, put the silicone container on the counter and stir it with a wooden spoon until the mixture is almost smooth, then add 1/4-1/3 more volume of chocolate as “seed” chocolate to help bring down the temp more quickly and shorten your hardening time. When your chocolate gets below 88 degrees on a reliable thermometer, and the chocolate is all a smooth consistency, you will be surprised at how quickly it cools to a hard and shiny coat on whatever you’re applying it to.
    The last couple of times I did it (practice makes you very proficient), my results were absolutely perfect. No bloom, and hard shiny chocolate coating. I really recommend the long glass thermometer for monitoring your temperature.
    Good luck!”

“This is so much easier than using a microwave and a glass bowl, and constantly overheating and cooling.
    Instead of this $30 something pot, one could spend $1000 or more on a tempering machine. Do the math.
    If it could maintain a specific temperature, I’d give it 5 stars.”

Troy Spruill

That’s where I’m at in the process. Practice with the machine and getting used to how it performs. It’s just frustrating given how it’s advertised as a “set it and forget it” machine. I realize nothing works like it does on TV but with the work involved, it’s not much different than a double boiler. Anywho, thanks for offering your thoughts on the matter. Great site by the way. I appreciate the hard work and effort you put in to this everyday.

clara max
    Participant

I recently saw this on BakeDeco Coupons at reecoupons, there is a huge discount available on it, but at that time I didn’t know about it, after reading your post I came to know it’s a very useful product for baking, now I am thinking to buy it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.