Skip to main content

Washington

Clarification Please

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Crabill 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Bob

I need clarification. Allowed foods specify cakes. Are cupcakes allowed?

Prohibited foods indicate no “bakery goods which require any type of refrigeration…cream cheese…frosting a with uncooked eggs”.
    -“chocolate type products”
    -“milk and dairy products…”

How can one make a cake (allowed) without using some of the indicated prohibited items such as “uncooked eggs”, “milk or dairy products” (butter). Also, no chocolate??

Am I reading this wrong??

Thank you.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Yes, cupcakes are allowed.

When you bake a cake, the egg gets cooked into the batter and that’s allowed. Basically, if your product needs refrigeration, as would be the case with a custard, cheesecake, or cream pie, then it isn’t allowed. Standalone milk and dairy products, like yogurt, cheese, etc. are not allowed, but you can incorporate certain kinds of dairy (limited amounts of milk, eggs, etc.) into your baked goods. Incorporating any amount of cheese would not be allowed.

It does appear that candy is not allowed in WA, unless it’s a baked candy, but hardly any candies fall into that category. So fudge, chocolate, truffles, etc. are not allowed. However, chocolate frosting is allowed, and I believe that chocolate buttercream frosting would also be allowed, but you’ll need to confirm with your health dept on that one. Also, when you mix a small amount of milk with powdered sugar, it does not require refrigeration and is therefore allowed.

Hope that helps.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.