Skip to main content

Virginia

Kombucha / Vinegar Low Acid

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Crabill 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Brett

I’ve been making a lot of Kombucha at home and I’m thinking about bottling and selling it at farmers markets. I saw that the law includes flavored vinegars which is essentially what Kombucha is- mostly acetic acid and water.

Just wondering if anyone knows about this product specifically from experience.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Although kombucha isn’t allowed under VA’s cottage food law, you should still talk to your health dept to see if there’s a way you can bottle it at home and sell it. Otherwise, you’ll need to use a commercial kitchen.

Becky

Am I right that this would fall under home food processing operation?
    what I’ve been trying to find out is where fermented drink starters fall, the cottage food law specifies you can’t sell fermented foods including kombucha, but what about water kefir or starters? I’m more interested in selling my excess scoby/grains than the drink itself.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Yes, this should be allowed for a home food processing operation, which I was not well-informed about back in February.

I don’t think any drink would be allowed under the cottage food law, and I’m not really familiar enough with starters to comment on them. My guess is that those wouldn’t be allowed either, but you should talk with the ag dept to make sure.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.