Skip to main content

Venues & Services

Growing and selling herbs and vegetables

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Coral
    Participant

I want to sell from my front yard vegetables and herbs. Is that allowed without permits?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

In most states, you don’t need to have a permit from the ag dept to sell uncut produce. However, zoning laws prevent most neighborhoods from being used for business purposes. Therefore, it’s unlikely that you will be able to sell from your front yard, but you should check with the dept that manages zoning in your area.

Coral
    Participant

I want to thank you for your information. It has lead me to decide to register my property as a farm. We have 22 acres and live in a rural area. Do you know how I would go about registering?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

I really don’t know, and you should talk to the ag dept about it.

Tina Heiligers

Wow! That’s a lot of land!
    I’m looking into doing something similar but focussed on herbs. I would also like to make value added products from my herbs but can’t seem to figure out if it’s permissible, even if I grow my own.
    Where do you live? Feel like starting a small community-driven farm? I’ll be moving to Arizona at the end of the year. Please let me know if you’d be interested.
    Thanks

Andrew

Hello, I just thought I would mention that we are about to launch a mobile app in Portland, OR called Ripelist. It is a free peer to peer listing app for anyone offering or looking for food made or grown in their local community. It’s open to anyone from local small food businesses/farmers to gardener/hobbyists.
    Initially it will only be available in Portland for the iPhone but we plan on expanding to other platforms soon.
    Sign up on our website so we can let you know as soon as it’s in the app store. Please feel free to contact me with any questions, comments or thoughts at andrew@ripelist.com.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.