Skip to main content


Online Orders/Shipping Products In Texas

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Crabill 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • #15084


    Hey all, I was just curious if anyone knows what kind of permits/licences/requirements are needed to sell my products (all fall under the cottage food law) over the internet and to be able to legally ship them? Not looking to send them out of state, just possibly county or state wide. Thanks!


    David Crabill

    Both shipping and online transactions are prohibited for a cottage food business. You would need a standard commercial license to ship.


    Sean S.

    I am having trouble finding an answer to my question, was hoping you might be able to help:
    We will be selling dry tea, which fits the Texas cottage law guidelines but what happens when we do want to start selling online eventually? We have access to use a commercial kitchen. Is that all we would need to do or do we have to somehow get licensed? If so, what license would that need to be? Everything we search for online related to tea and this state brings back cottage law info, nothing about commercial. Any insight you can share with us on how we would make the transition at some point?


    David Crabill

    You would need to use a commercial kitchen and go through a much different, and much more complicated, process of getting a license. Instead of searching for how to sell tea, simply search for how to start a food business in Texas. The rules are similar for all food businesses. You should also talk to your health dept about what you need.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.