Skip to main content

Texas

Flavored Sea Salt

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Crabill 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Alison Shumaker

Hi, I’m experimenting with making smoked sea salt. I have a large smoker at my home that I’ve been using. So far I’ve made plain smoked sea salt, jalapeño smoked sea salt, and garlic smoked sea salt. I’m going to try other flavors as well. Can you let me know if sea salt is considered a food that would fall within the Texas Cottage Food Laws? Also, would there be a difference in just plain smoked salt versus those with other ingredients, like garlic, jalapeño, herbs, citrus? All the ingredients are dried before they are mixed with the salt. Thanks!

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Probably not. Texas has a very specific list of foods, which doesn’t include seasonings. It does allow dry mixes (combined commercially-produced ingredients), dried produce, and dry herbs, but flavored salt really doesn’t fall under any of those. You will need to contact the health dept to get approval. I don’t think the type of flavoring would make much difference.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.