Skip to main content

Tennessee

Labeling

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Crabill 11 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Danielle
    Participant

I’m confused on labels, I’ve been told I can put “ Betty Crocker chocolate cake mix “ and that’s it. Also, can I have one place card on the table in front of the product? Or does everything have to be individually labeled?

If your products are neither packaged nor sold from a bulk container, you must put the label on a placard at the point of sale.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Putting cake mix on the label is definitely not sufficient. You need to copy the ingredients from the box to put on your label.

Tennessee is one of the only states that doesn’t seem to require things to be individually packaged. But I do think they’d prefer individual packaging where that’s reasonable or expected. A bulk container situation would be common with baked goods, like bread (donuts, bagels, etc). An example where an item wouldn’t be prepackaged but also wouldn’t be sold in bulk would be cotton candy made on-the-spot.

But, there is nothing in the law that requires items to be individually packaged. The main intent of the law is that the customer is informed. So in cases where items are not packaged and labeled, the label and ingredients need to be on the bulk container or a placard to notify the customer.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.