Skip to main content

Cookies

Is A Cookie Business A Good Idea?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  My Baking Shoppe 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

David Crabill
    Keymaster

I just wrote a blog post that describes how my thoughts about cookie businesses shifted over the past few years: http://forrager.com/2015/09/is-a-cookie-business-a-good-idea/

I’d be interested to hear your own experiences starting a cookie business, and if you agree or disagree with me. Are non-specialized (but really good) cookies too much trouble? Do customers have a false perception for how much they should cost? Has anyone actually had profitable success selling cookies at markets?

HomeArtisan

Hi. I think a cookie business is an awesome idea!! You can do so many flavors with them. As I’m typing I’m thinking of flavor combos now. It’s been hard for me to get going as cottage food business. My places to sell are limited and to get to a farmers market takes cash and I just don’t have what I need to get the products out there. I need marketing I guess. I’m really at a loss. I sit and create fabulous menu ideas then execute them for the family we all get excited and when I think of some spot to sell it’s some stipulation according to the cottage law -in Michigan. Do you know a way I can get my creations to the people?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

I think the problem with cookie businesses is that they’re often more fun than profitable. If you’re interested in turning it into a money-making business, I’d recommend skipping the markets and trying to focus on direct deliveries of batch orders. And if you do some markets, consider them an advertising expense and then you can’t be disappointed.

It’s easy to get stuck in the kitchen, trying new products, without ever validating customers. Unfortunately, the often repeated “build it and they will come” seems to be completely false — even the most delicious cookies won’t sell themselves. I’ve faced this problem in non-food businesses too… it’s much more fun to create than sell. Get out of the kitchen and start selling! Approach businesses and organizations, learn about events, talk to someone on the street… anything to help validate that there actually is some level of demand for what you’re making.

My Baking Shoppe
    Participant

Hi! New to the group but here’s my take on a Cookie Business. I started my company last December with a Class A CFL making drop cookies, bundt cakes, cupcakes, and breads. I didn’t start doing custom cookies until February for Valentine’s Day. At the time I was doing a weekly Farmers Market but wasn’t doing all the great. Anyone can make what I was making at for less than what I was charging. But custom cookies, not everyone can do those. However, not everyone can afford them either and I’m totally fine with that. Now, 75% of my business is custom cookies and I no longer am baking 6 hours on Saturday and sitting for 8 hours at the Farmers Market on Sunday. I got my weekends back! My real job is a Quality Engineer in Aerospace. I stressful job. Everyone hates you because you’re the police officer of the company making sure everyone is abiding by the laws of the company. Cookies on the other hand, everyone loves! Creating and decorating is my stress reliever. It is my therapy. As my one year is coming to a close, I’m seriously considering moving to a Class B. I want to get out there more and I have some interested parties that would like to sell my cookies. Thank you!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.