Skip to main content

South Carolina

Starting a home backery in Charleston

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Crabill 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Rijneveld

Good afternoon,

My name is Charles Rijneveld and I would like to start a home bakery in Charleston.
    I firstly want to thank you for providing to all of us all the information concerning the subject, it’s really helpful and I’m sure that a lot of people appreciate the time you spend in creating these websites.
    However I still have some question I would like to ask.

1. Before starting to sell my product do I have to wait for a hygiene control of my kitchen?
    2. Can it be a problem if I am renting my house?
    3. What exactly is the label?
    3. What can of insurance should I take to provide me from having problems with customers?
    4. I am currently living down town Charleston, therefore am I allowed to sell my product? (I read something about zones)
    5. Do you have any advices you could give me before starting?

I thank you for your time

Sincerly,

Charles Rijneveld

David Crabill
    Keymaster

1. Yes, if you are selling at an external location like a farmers market.
    2. No
    3. The label is what you attach to all your products, which gives the consumer info about you and the product.
    4. You have to contact your city’s planning division to learn what the zoning requirements are for you.
    5. Start simple and small, and work your way up from there.

SarahLou
    Participant

As for your question about renting your house you might need to talk to your landlord to make sure having a business in your home is not in violation with your rental agreement.

Rosalind

What is a hygiene control

David Crabill
    Keymaster

“Hygiene control” means a home kitchen inspection.

Brigitte

I just spoke with 5 different people today with the sc gov zoning and dhec and was told we are not allowed to bake from our home in the city of Charleston/Johns Island. I find that hard to believe. How do you pass a Food Cottage Law and omit the city of Charleston? Can anyone pass on a contact that will be knowledgeable of the law that was passed June 2012? I appreciate it.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

I know it seems weird, but actually those kind of prohibitions happen all the time across the country. The cottage food law doesn’t omit Charleston… the city does. It’s their choice to allow the law and if they choose not to, there’s not much you can do about it aside from moving. The most knowledgeable person about this is Sheryl, the admin at this Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SCCottageFoodLaw

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.