Skip to main content

Packaging & Labeling

Home address on food labels

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kimberly Boyd 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Jim

We are thinking about opening a home-based bakery, but we are concerned about the requirement to include our home address on our food labels. We understand the need for contact information, but giving out our home address to every customer seems like a risk.

Does anyone else have this concern?

Susie Tunks

Yes! This is a HUGE issue amongst many CFP, including me! I have had a few bad experiences with people just showing up, wanting my products. Others have also had negative experiences because of this very unsafe law. To remedy this (but by no means is it a solution), I have hung a sign on my door that says, “By appointment Only”, and will not open my door if I am not expecting any customers. I have also stated this fact all throughout my website. It isn’t perfect but at least by not answering the door you aren’t opening yourself to potential. http://www.realfrenchbread.com

Wendy Powell

Hi All;
    I am considering branching into the cottage food industry myself (currently selling handmade soaps) – in Florida. For my business in Florida, I was informed that as long as I registered my address with an online directory (like Yellow Pages Online), I could place just city, state and zipcode on my labels. That is according to FDA Guidelines.

Perhaps it holds true for the cottage food industry as well…. worth looking into… (yes, stalkers would probably know how to find you but not the average customer)

Jim

Thanks for your responses! Seems like the biggest issue is people showing up at our homes to make a purchase. This is a deal-breaker for us. We will try to find a reasonably-priced commercial kitchen.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

It is true that some states allow you to withhold an address on a label if you are listed in a phone book. While I understand that it may be annoying for customers to show up uninvited, it’s worth noting that I haven’t heard of this becoming an safety issue for anyone. The “by appt only” sign is a good idea.

Robert

A few years back, I start a company in Illions from my home. Its a packaging based company that provides packaging solutions to the customer. We have two offices in Aisa where we do manufacturing and maintain our stock. Now I have a proper place in Illinois as our business expands. But I don’t think you face any problem while mentioning your address.

Kimberly Boyd

I spoke with the State of GA and confirmed that only the CITY, STATE and ZIP CODE must be on the label. The street address is not required.
    We told the office they need to update the brochures because they show incorrect information. Hopefully that happens so people don’t keep using the full address.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.