Skip to main content

Packaging & Labeling

Cottage Law labels

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Crabill 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • #10277


    I am beginning my cottage home operations and will be selling individual items at times, so my question is:
    Can I hand out pre-printed ingredient labels since the individual item bags may be to small for a label to be affixed to items such as cake pops and mini cupcakes?


    David Crabill

    Generally labels need to be attached in some way to the item you’re selling. If you look at the back of a Snickers bar, you can see that it’s possible to stick a lot of legible info on a pretty small package. But you can also get creative, like using a tag label that hangs off your product.

    If you really need the label to be separate, you can ask your ag or health dept for approval, which they might not grant. One of the primary purposes of a label is so those depts can use the product’s packaging to track the source of a product if a customer complains.

    Most states allow separate labels on large items that aren’t packaged, like wedding cakes.



    What type of packaging is acceptable? Can you use plastic boxes or containers for such things as cupcakes with soft icing?


    David Crabill

    Usually almost any type of enclosed packaging is acceptable, and if it’s touching the food, it should be a food-grade material.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.