Skip to main content


Starting a cottage food business

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rachael Juarez 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • #44529


    Hi yhere, I am wanting to start a cupcake business from home via the cottage food law and am wondering how to go about registering a business and business name?


    Leah Brown-Protsman

    If you go to the state website, it is very easy to set up your business account. It is very reasonable. They send you, your EIN right away. I am selling products on Amazon. I am trying to use the cottage food law to make cookies. It took me three days just to talk to someone who could answer my questions on how to get a tax id. The form was on the Virginia government tax page. I had no idea I needed one to sell online. I am would love to hear from people who have baked from home using this law and who have been successful. Good luck.


    Rachael Juarez

    I am curious if I need anything else besides my EIN and food handlers card to start cooking in my kitchen under the “cottage food business”?
    Thanks for the input!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.