Skip to main content

Oklahoma

Where can you sell?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Crabill 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Liz J.

My mom and I are wanting to start making approved things at home. Can we take them to a location (like my business) to sell or do they have to be sold directly out of the home? Can they be delivered to people (like from orders/requests made) or must it be picked up directly from the home? The law is unclear to me on that. Thank you!!

David Crabill
    Keymaster

From what I have heard about OK, sales may only be made at your home. That makes the law very restrictive and it’s an unfortunate interpretation, as that info isn’t actually built into the law itself. However, I would say that it wouldn’t exclude you from making a sale at home (like a cake), and then delivering it on event day. But I don’t think you can exchange money anywhere other than in-person at your house.

Liz J.

How completely frustrating!! Thank you for your help!

Amanda Wilson
    Participant

I don’t know why they would say only at your home. That can be very dangerous! I really don’t want strangers at my house and aroumd my kids. Seems like it would be ok to meet at a public place. Too many bad things could happen meeting at your home. Heard to many bad stories with Craigslist.

Amanda Wilson
    Participant

Can you deliver? Or is it pick up only?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

From what I’ve heard, it’s supposed to be at your home, and pickup only. For what it’s worth, many many CFOs run businesses from their homes across the country, and I’ve never heard of there being a problem. Custom cake makers, especially, have to do things from home because they can’t sell at places like farmers markets. Usually, although the sale takes place at the home, your interaction with the customer will happen beforehand, either online or over the phone.

Although problems on Craigslist are exceedingly rare (and of course, widely publicized on the news), I would argue that problems with cottage food sales are much rarer, and possibly nonexistent. Unlike Craigslist, many of the people buying cottage food items are not looking for something cheap. If you price your product fairly, you will not be able to compete in price with your local supermarket. Therefore, I think CFOs generally deal a sector of society that’s very safe.

Stephanie Moore

Hi there, I wanted to make sure I knew the law concerning the home bakery act. From what I read, I can sell from my home bakery and I can deliver as long as they pay at my home bakery? I scan sell the goods that are only on the list provided on the site? I put info with my product with name, phone number, address and stating that it is being sold from a home bakery not licensed the state of Okla health dept? So saying this I don’t have to have a food handlers card? I can’t sell at outside functions, but can I donate my items? I am keeping record of my sells. Can you suggest anything else I have missed? I do have a back door that if customers want to come in an wait. they can, also to look at my kitchen just to see. Can I put ads in the news paper? Ads on Facebook? I am looking forward to hearing for you, thanks so much for your time, it’s greatly appreciated! ;-)

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Stephanie, the law page only gives an overview, but it’s best to read the law yourself: http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2013-14%20ENR/hB/HB1094%20ENR.PDF

Most of the things you’re trying to confirm are correct, so I’ll only point out deviations. The allowed foods list give a general overview: it is not intended to be comprehensive, but you can’t sell anything that’s not fully baked. Contact your health dept for more info about allowed foods and what types of food you can donate elsewhere. You can advertise in any way you’d like.

There may be local licenses you need, and this should give you a basic idea for where to start: http://forrager.com/faq/#starting

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.