Skip to main content

Oklahoma

food cottage laws

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Crabill 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

tera

ok so it says we cannot use fresh fruit. now does that mean as a garnish on top of a cupcakes type of thing or does it mean i cannot use ANY type of fruit at all? is it still considered fresh fruit if it is baked inside the batter? also would dehydrated fruit fit in the fresh fruit category?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

It is a strange restricted they’ve added to the law, and I don’t know exactly how the health dept interprets it, but this is how I interpret it:

• You cannot put any kind of fresh fruit in baked goods, so banana bread or an apple pie from fresh apples would not be allowed.
    • You can use canned fruit, so a cherry pie with canned cherries would be fine.
    • You can use packaged frozen fruit.
    • You can use dehydrated fruit if you are not the one dehydrating it.
    • If you do use fruit, it must be baked into the product — it cannot go on top.

Basically, you cannot be the one handling the fruit to prepare it. You cannot be cutting apples or peeling bananas. The fruit prep must take place in an inspected facility, so if you buy the fruit already prepared in the form that you need it, that’s okay.

I’m not really sure why they did this. All I can think is that they want the fruit to be coming from an approved source and they have safety concerns. It really doesn’t make sense to me and there isn’t any other state that has this rule.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.