Skip to main content

Ohio

Vinegar, Dried Flours

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Crabill 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Blythe Pelham
    Participant

I hope this isn’t a double post. I thought I posted and don’t see it anywhere.

My first question has to do with vinegar. It seems pretty acidic to me, can you tell me why this is exempt and why we cannot sell it? I assume we are not to sell it on or offsite? I have my own apple cider vinegar from my own apples and I would like to sell it.

Also, I have my own dried corn that I would like to sell as cornmeal and corn flour. I would also like to sell my dehydrated sourdough starter. Neither of these falls neatly into a category (other than perhaps “mixes”).

Thank you for your input!

David Crabill
    Keymaster

The list of allowed foods that matters is here, under questions 2 & 3: http://www.agri.ohio.gov/foodsafety/docs/CottageFoodOperation-factsheet.pdf

Ohio’s law used to be more limited and then they passed an amendment that expanded the list of allowed foods. It appears that only foods that are on the list are allowed. I don’t think there’s a reason why vinegar is not on there, other than that someone didn’t put it on.

Drying your own corn sounds a little more like something they intentionally left off. Even though cornmeal is totally safe in it’s final form, they consider the potential risks required to get it to that stage. Most states do not allow dried vegetables, even though many allow dried fruit.

From the resources I can see online, it doesn’t look like you could produce either of these items. “Mixes” would include cornmeal you buy from the store, but I don’t know if processing it yourself would be okay. However, I could be wrong and I suggest you talk to the ag dept to be sure.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.