Skip to main content

Ohio

jam/jelly specs.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Crabill 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

James Matheny

Where could I find more specific information on requirements for jams and jellies?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

The law says “A cottage food production operation shall not process acidified foods, low acid canned foods, or potentially hazardous foods.” Beyond that, the state doesn’t really have much published online about this.

The technical rules that Ohio probably follows are described in Part 150 of Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

However, if you’re like most people that probably won’t make much sense to you! It’s much too complicated for myself but from what I’ve heard, basically, your jams or jellies need some acidic or sugar component to help keep the product shelf stable. Most jam and jelly recipes have sugar and/or citrus added to accomplish this.

Products that are more likely to be considered potentially hazardous are low-sugar jams and jellies, such as those made from little more than the fruit.

If you are unsure about your product, you can get it tested in a lab to determine if it’s non-potentially hazardous or not. But as I said, most common jam/jelly recipes are fine.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.