Skip to main content

North Dakota

Starting home-based business

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Crabill 10 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Michelle

I’m thinking of starting a very small home-based business, but I’m super confused by all of these laws/regulations. Here’s what I’m hoping to do: I want to make baked goods (cookies, cupcakes, pies, muffins, scones, etc and maybe jellies/jams) and am hoping to sell them through word-of-mouth, at vendor shows, and promote them online (maybe via Facebook).
    A few questions that I have are: can I legally make these out of my kitchen at home? If I don’t promote myself as a business, can I still sell these things?

One other thing, I was also maybe considering doing some catering also (this I’m not going to advertise at all, it’d be more or less just for friends and maybe friends of friends). Is this legal?

I just love baking and cooking, but I don’t have the means of building a new kitchen onto our house, and since we live in a small town, I don’t have the option of renting out a kitchen either. Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated!! (I’m already bracing myself for bad news, but I’ll keep my fingers crossed in the meantime lol)

David Crabill
    Keymaster

You can make them from home, but you can only sell them at events and at roadside stands. The rules are the same whether you promote your business or not. The person to contact about these rules is Kenan Bullinger at 701-328-1291.

Catering would be different from a home business. Most states have a separate catering license, but I don’t know about North Dakota. You should check with your health dept.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.