Skip to main content

New York

nut flours in cakes

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Crabill 2 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Nicole
    Participant

Is there any way to use nut flours in cakes that make them legal to sell as a CFO?
    -Nicole

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Did you see anywhere that indicates that they would not be allowed? I would think they’d be fine to use, as long as the resulting product is nonperishable.

Nicole
    Participant

Hi again, thank you for the reply and my question about nut flours in cakes.
    In the prohibitive food section of NY State, “Any products containing raw nuts” is listed. Nut flours that I purchase have been ground/processed by commercial suppliers and then are mixed into my batters without any further processing/roasting etc. The cakes are baked to completion with an internal temperature of 210-215F. What is your experienced take on this?
    Thank you!

Nicole
    Participant

After making the necessary call to Albany, I have learned that nut flours and freeze dried fruits, if commercially processed and then bought are allowed to be used in baking.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

So glad you found the answer! I was going to say that it was really something that needed to be answered by the department itself.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.