Skip to main content

Nebraska

Cake business

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Crabill 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Robin

Hello!
    I may be moving into the state of Nebraska and just wanted some clarification. I have a home based custom cake business. Just to be clear, to my understanding, this can not exist in this state without a commercial kitchen. Are there any work-arounds? Any recommendations and info would be appreciated. Thanks!

David Crabill
    Keymaster

That is correct… homemade food sales may be done at farmers markets, but obviously that is not conducive to a custom cake business. Technically, if you found a farmers market that was open most days, you could have your buyers pick up their custom cakes from there.

Other than that, the only legal workaround would be to try to initiate an amendment to the cottage food law in the next legislative session. If you are interested in jump-starting that, I can connect you with an organization that would probably be willing to help.

The other alternative would simply be to run your business illegally. There are probably already a lot of people in your area in Nebraska doing this, and I’m not sure if the government there cares much.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.