Skip to main content

Missouri

missouri prohibited food of chocolate

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Michelle 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Gail Rutherford

Hi, could you explain a little more about not being allowed to sell chocolate. Any chocolate, would that mean chocolate candy, chocolate cake, chocolate dipped pretzels, etc., or does it just mean things like chocolate bars, fudge and truffles? Any why not fudge and truffles, they are cooked.

Thank you for looking into this and answering.

Gail Rutherford

David Crabill
    Keymaster

The law only allows baked goods, jams, jellies, and dried herbs, so by definition, everything outside of those categories is not allowed. A fully-baked chocolate cake would be allowed. It’s not a matter of whether or not a chocolate bar is safe… it’s just that the law was written in a very conservative way. They probably wrote it in that way because they knew that those few items would meet with relatively little resistance from the health dept and the bill could get passed.

Vicki
    Participant

Can ganache be used on cakes?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Ganache is often not allowed, so you should contact your health dept to check.

Michelle

I would like to make homemade chocolate candy and hard candy for craft shows here in Missouri. Is this allowed? All my chocolate candies would be used with store bought chocolate melts, labeled with all ingredients, and prepackaged. Help! Am I allowed too not?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.