Skip to main content

Mississippi

Getting started

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sharon D 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Brandon

Hi
    I was wondering if anyone has any information on getting started and becoming a cottage food operation. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Brandon, my general advice is start small. Just try a few of your best products out at first and see where that goes. Aside from the info on the Mississippi page, did you have any specific concerns?

Brandon

Thanks David, I’m not sure exactly how to go about getting started the Mississippi page isn’t exactly clear on that. Do I need to contact anyone or need to fill out any forms, or can I just follow the rules and regulations and proper labeling?

Thanks

David Crabill
    Keymaster

I agree that it could be more clear, and part of the reason that it currently isn’t clear is that there are no rules or requirements for getting started. What you see on that page is all the rules there are… no health dept license or inspection needed. One thing you should do, however, is call up your planning division and ask if there are any county-specific requirements for your business (such as a generic business license). Hope this helps!

Brandon

Do we have to charge taxes for our products or is that optional?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Taxes are different for everyone… it depends on the county you live in. In most states, CFOs are exempt from state tax, because they are selling goods that are consumed off their premises. You may have to still pay local sales taxes though. You need to check with whatever departments oversee sales taxes for your area.

You will need to file income and self-employment taxes at the end of the year.

Courtney Burden
    Participant

I saw on another thread where someone was talking about requirements for sugar/fruit ratios in jellies and jams. Does anything like that apply to MS?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Courtney, most states use CFR 21 as a standard for jams and jellies, but unlike most states, CA has it written into their law. Regardless of the laws, following CFR 21 is recommended to ensure the safety of your product. Low sugar jams and jellies are possible, but they may need to be refrigerated. You should contact the health dept to learn about Mississippi’s requirements.

Sharon D

I live in Tate county and am having such a hard time locating much information online as to whether I need a biz license to be a CFO. Who would I contact to find out, chamber of commerce? Dept of revenue? Say Tate county didn’t require it, I can really just start selling “cottage foods” without telling anyone?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.