Skip to main content

Massachusetts

Pizza Dough

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Melissa 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Eddie
    Participant

Hey guys,
    Im thinking of hosting Pizza Friday at my home in MA.
    I want to turn into an eventual business, but am unsure if I can make dough in my home kitchen.
    Im thinking Im ok because you can mix cake batter and all that have eggs. Pizza dough is just flour yeast salt and water. The pizza’s will be cooked in a wood oven in my back yard.

any advise would be great.

Grubdude

Are you asking if you can levally make and servr food? I believe if you aren’t selling for a profit, it is OK. There is a “cottage law” though (specific to MA) you’ll want to look up, in caseylu havent already.

Sounds like an awese idea neighbor!
    Tony

David Crabill
    Keymaster

My guess is that you won’t be able to do what you envision. If all you are doing is making pizza dough, baking it, and then selling baked pizza crusts (with nothing on them) for customers to pickup, then yes, I’d say this is possible. You can sell bread as a cottage food operation in MA. I’m not sure if you could use an outdoor oven to do that, though.

If you want to sell pizza, then you will need to use a commercial kitchen. http://forrager.com/faq/#commercial

Ed

Hi Dave
    My plan is to make dough at home but cook offsite in a mobile wood oven

Any thoughts?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

You won’t be able to use the cottage food law, since you are not baking the dough at home. Instead, it sounds like you will have to produce the dough in a commercial kitchen.

Melissa

If i wanted to produce/sell a food product that is prohibited – would I need to outsource to a food manufacturer?

thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.