Skip to main content

Maryland

Food Swap/Barter Regulations in MD

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Crabill 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Aditi

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to start a food swap in Baltimore, MD. A food swap is where participants trade food they have made, foraged, or grown themselves (in their own kitchens or gardens). There is no money exchanged at the swap. This event would be open to the public with the only charge being for costs incurred (such as renting a space, tables, etc.).

I can’t seem to find clear regulations regarding food exchanges. As I mentioned, there would be no money involved on site and all food would be prepared in the participant’s kitchens.

Does anyone have any insight? All advice is appreciated! :)

David Crabill
    Keymaster

I don’t believe food swaps fall under any regulation, since there is no money trading hands and people aren’t engaging in commerce. California has some extremely strict rules, but I know that food swaps happen in the Bay Area all the time and I haven’t heard of one getting shut down. I assume it would be less strict in MD.

However, the food swaps I’ve heard of are purely volunteer events, and it sounds like you’re trying to collect money from people to setup there, so you’d essentially be a market, I think. If you are collecting money from people for the space, then you’d probably need to talk to some dept, and there may be a license for you to get.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.