Skip to main content

Louisiana

Mixing a BBQ sauce???

This topic contains 5 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Crabill 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Kelli Hollier

If I wanted to make my BBQ sauce to sell that only requires mixing and no cooking would I have to have a building just for the licensed kitchen or can this be done in my home?? If not, can a separate kitchen be added to my home for this use only? I would love to start this up but clueless where to begin.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

You can’t do this from your home kitchen. You can build another kitchen onto your home, but this can be really pricey. http://forrager.com/faq/#commercial

Lynnette

Why is BBQ sauce not considered a condiment? Condiments are approved for Cottage biz, right?
    Did you check with the Health Dept?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Only certain types of condiments are allowed, and BBQ sauce isn’t one of them. It has to do with the potential risks associated with producing BBQ sauce. I do encourage you to confirm that with the health dept though, just to be sure.

John

In 2013, Louisiana changed its Cottage Food Law to include sauces with marinara, bbq sauce, and several other types of sauces being included in the list. The sauces are to be canned at the proper temperature so that bacteria does not form. Also, the new law allows you to make the sauces from your household kitchen, but there can be no pets and you have to adhere to the same rules as a certified kitchen, health department does not have to inspect. On any labels for sale of your sauce, you have to state that you are abiding by the Cottage food law and that the sauce was not made in a certified health inspected kitchen.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Thanks so much John… you’re completely right, and I should have double-checked the law. I see that my initial comment was posted before the most recent amendment.

For anyone stumbling upon this thread, it’s worth noting that canned goods need to meet certain requirements, so not all BBQ or marinara sauce recipes would be allowed. You should contact your health dept before starting a home canned food business.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.