Skip to main content

Laws & Industry Info

Herbal Products

This topic contains 5 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Crabill 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Katrina

Can herbal products such as dry tea, tinctures, vinegars, oils, and salves be sold under the cottage food act?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

It depends on your state, but usually cottage food laws on only for products intended for human consumption. The health depts is in charge of these kinds of businesses.

sharon

I am wondering if selling herbal dry tea mixes (such as chamomile) would fall under the law. And can I give samples out to people at a flea market to potential customers that are wanting to try it.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Dry tea is allowed in some states: http://forrager.com/laws/

jaci

I understand anything ingested would fall under Cottage Food Law, however, up top you stated “The health depts is in charge of these kinds of businesses.” what type of business are you referring to? Herbal? Because herbal remedies do include ingestable things. So if I want to sell herbal things including things to ingest I would contact Health Dept, and it doesn’t fall under the Cottage Food Law?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Because this was posted in the Q&A forum, rather than a state’s forum, I was giving a very generic answer about how usually herbal tinctures and medicines are approved by the health dept. Typically, even the ingestible products would not be considered cottage food products due to the claims made on them.

But there isn’t a blanket answer to this, which is why you should check with your local health dept to see what is or is not allowed in your area.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.