Skip to main content

Indiana

Pasty pie limitations

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Teri 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Teri

Great website! Am just getting started and in works/research with either renting a commercial space (during non-business hours in a certified farm market) or an entrepreneurial culinary incubator across the state line (South Bend Indiana/ Niles Michigan) to prepare my pasty pies. I like the CFO since I am starting small and rolling out only a few items for the holiday season…then go from there. I want to do it right up front, however, and feel people will be more willing to buy if I am not just making them in my own kitchen. But I am seeing limitations in selling for CFO and also wondering if my creations even qualify–since the pasty does– but the fillings likely won’t? Example, a traditional pasty is a hand-pie or pocket meal containing a mix of meat, potatoes, vegetables, etc. (meat pre-cooked, other ingredients added and baked in lard crust). They can be frozen and reheated, or baked fresh and reheated (or frozen for later use)per customer desire and the venue (farmer’s market, co-ops, holiday bazaars). Who do I contact in Indiana to confirm this and find out if I have to skip CFO and follow the commercial route of preparation? Thank you.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

The inclusion of meat, potatoes, or vegetables disqualifies you from being a CFO. I haven’t found that people are resistant to buying from a home-prepared item, but you don’t have to worry about it because you’re forced to use a commercial kitchen to stay legal.

Teri

Thank you David…so I will continue to find places to prepare…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.