Skip to main content

Indiana

Pancake and Waffle Mix

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Crabill 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Debbie Utley-Gates
    Participant

As a Personal Chef, I often prepare breakfast items, in the client’s home, which can be frozen and enjoyed at a later date. As of now, I am combining all of the ingredients in the client’s kitchen. It would be much easier and a great time saver to mix the dry ingredients at (my) home and simply add the wet ingredients when I’m ready to prepare – Just like a purchased pancake/waffle mix.

Would the be allowed in Indiana?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

The cottage food law in Indiana is specifically designed for people who are selling items that are fully-prepared, packaged, and labeled in their home. Those items can only be sold at farmers markets and roadside stands, and that’s the only way I know of to personally profit from homemade food. I’m not sure about the rules for personal chefs, but my guess is that no, you can’t prepare the food in your own home. However, I’m fairly ignorant of the allowances for personal chefs, so you should talk with the health dept about the rules that apply to you.

Debbie Utley-Gates
    Participant

I was just “thinking out loud”.

I’m sure it wouldn’t be approved in this situation as packages of ingredients would have to be opened, combined, re-packaged and transported to a location other than a farmer’s market or roadside stand. However (thinking out loud again…) could homemade pancake & waffle mixes be sold at a farmer’s market? Also wondering if you could offer free samples of prepared pancakes/waffles and/or if the potential customer would be allowed to apply store-bought butter since it needs to be refrigerated.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

You should be able to sell a dry mix like that at a farmers market, and you even might be able to sell/sample the prepared pancakes/waffles, if the health dept deems those as an allowable food. Butter shouldn’t require refrigeration, but I’m not sure if it could be offered… the bigger problem might be that at that point, you are selling for immediate consumption and therefore acting as a food facility. Cottage food products are intended to be prepacked in the home kitchen and not be consumed at the point of sale.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.