Skip to main content


Donating a Wedding Cake in IL?

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Crabill 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #16581 Reply

    Judith Cooley

    Hi! I live in PA and want to make a wedding cake for my niece, who lives in IL. I would be donating this cake to her. I would bake it in her kitchen. The wedding will be at a winery in Union County; she lives in Williamson County. The winery/caterer is asking for my food certification license, which I do not have. Again, I am donating this cake to my niece. Can I do this legally? How Can I get around the winery’s requirements? Please get back to me via email at Thanks so much!

    #16591 Reply

    David Crabill

    Because of the licensing requirements that some venues have, they wouldn’t be able to serve your homemade cake and there wouldn’t be a way to get around it, aside from using a different venue. Sometimes venues will allow a homemade cake, but they’re doing so illegally. The language in the law literally states that food establishments cannot serve something that was made in a home. If they do not have any ideas about how to allow your cake, then likely none exist.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Donating a Wedding Cake in IL?
Your information: