Skip to main content

Forrager

Clarifications for forrager.com/law/south-carolina/

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Crabill 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Dylan Murphy

Hello, my name is Dylan Murphy, and I am part of South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control’s Division of Food Protection and Rabies Prevention. We were notified about your website by one of our regulated establishments and think that overall your information is pretty good, but we had a few clarifications and corrections to share.

1) Under Allowed Foods: Doughnuts should be clarified to say that doughnuts must be cooked/prepared at the home; they cannot be cooked or prepared where they are sold.
    2) Under Allowed Foods: Chocolate & Fudge need to be moved to the Prohibited Foods section.
    3) Under Allowed Foods: Pies should say in the information box that “Fruit Pies may require a Product Analysis.”
    4) Under Limitations: Direct sales only should include in its information box that “Commission sales are not allowed.”

If you have any comments or questions about these changes, please get back in touch with me via email.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Dylan, thanks so much for getting in touch with me. I’ll address each point below, but first, I think it’s important to note that Forrager is not intended to be totally comprehensive of all information for starting a CFO. There is plenty of additional info that could go on any given law page, but I’ve just tried to include the essentials so that Forrager is clean and easy to understand. Once someone is interested in starting a CFO after visiting this website, they should pick up the details when communicating with their health and/or ag depts.

1) The descriptions on food items are site-wide, meaning that changing them on one changes them for every state. In addition to donuts, that same disclaimer could be used for cotton candy, popcorn, or a number of other items that could be made on-site. I would hope that this restriction would come up when someone applies for their exemption, but maybe there’s somewhere else on the page or site where I could make it more clear that all items need to be prepared at home? The very first FAQ on this site addresses this point, but most people probably miss that.

2) If I list them as prohibited, then people will ask why. Can you please clarify that for me? Since both chocolate and fudge are considered to be “candy”, I don’t see anything in the law or in the ag dept’s online resources that would indicate that either item is prohibited. At the very least, perhaps you could request a product analysis for those items? I don’t live in SC, but I do specialize in fudge. I don’t use cream, condensed milk, or egg whites in mine… instead, I use evaporated milk and corn syrup. I have had no problems letting it sit out for days on end and I don’t know why it would be considered potentially hazardous or fall out of the scope of Angie Culler-Matthews’ definition: “Candy is defined as: Candies and confectioneries (Confectioneries are candies, delicacies or sweets that have sugar as a principal ingredient,combined with coloring matter and/or flavoring) Candy Coated Nuts, Candy Coated Fruits (would be dried fruits such as raisins) Candy Coated Popcorn, Cotton Candy.” If you do choose to completely prohibit these items, could you update the ag dept’s online resources so I have a reference point (to direct people to) for that prohibition?

3) Please see item #1. I added “like fruit pies” to the notes section under Allowed Foods.

4) That’s a good point — thanks for mentioning it!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.