Skip to main content

Florida

Operating under the Cottage Law

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Crabill 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Debbie

HI,

I just recently heard about this Cottage Law and since I make homemade sweet breads, I would like to be able to operate under this law. How do I “register” or what do you need to do in order to start using this? I don’t know how to start the process. I am interested in selling at the Green Market in my town and they have asked if I operate under the Cottage law or if not, then it seems that a permit/license needs to be obtained. Any information you can provide on how to operate under this law and what needs to be followed, would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!!

David Crabill
    Keymaster

You do not need to get registered… you just need to understand the rules and you can start immediately. I don’t know if there’s any way to “prove” that you are a cottage food operation, other than that you may need to get a business license from your county — at least that would show that you are a business.

Saralyn

I am interested in selling baked goods with a road side stand and I was wondering if I could cook the food at my house and then warm them up on the selling site. My plan would be to sell the good and put it in a paper bag with the appropriate sticker. What are the possible issues with this? Thank you for the help!

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Saralyn, make sure you read through Florida’s cottage food law first. There are specific foods that are allowed, and nothing that needs refrigeration or heat to stay safe is allowed. Also, all of the food preparation, packaging, and labeling must happen back in your home kitchen. If you want to warm something up at the stand, then it would have to be done in its packaging.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.