Skip to main content

Florida

Miami Dade and Cottage food law

This topic contains 16 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  David Crabill 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Juan

Hello David,
    I am wondering if you can help me understand if the CFO Law is affected in Dade County. In an earlier blog, you mentioned back in 2014, that the CFO Law was not in effect – “Miami-Dade is the only county I know of (so far) that doesn’t allow cottage food operations.”
    I am trying to find out if this is still true for 2017. Can you tell me where I can find more info?
    Furthermore, it seems that the law changes based on city? Is this true? Can you tell me about Brickell and Windwood?
    Thank you

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Juan, I still haven’t heard about any changes in Miami Dade’s policy, but you should contact their health dept to ask if they allow CFOs now. It would be the same with the other counties you mentioned, but I will say that you must use the laws of whichever county your primary residence is in. You can’t just use any county’s law, unless you move there.

Paul

Hello David,
    I have contacted the Florida Department of Health to ask about the cottage food operation and they said to contact FDACS, I contacted FDACS and they told me to review the cottage food law. I have also ran into some webpages of businesses that are established in Dade County that claim to be under the cottage food law. Dear David, if you are confident that this is illegal in Miami Dade, please share with us the proof.
    Thanks!

Paul

Please let me correct myself, I meant Florida Department of Health in Dade County

Wally Rodriguez

Hello David: I would like to know if Broward County is covered under the Cottage Food Law. I want to sell cakes and cupcakes from my house in Pembroke Pines. What do I need to do to start my home business?
    Thank you.

Keith
    Participant

This from Florida statute 559.955 500.80 Cottage food operations.—

(6) The regulation of cottage food operations is preempted to the state. A local law, ordinance, or regulation may not prohibit a cottage food operation or regulate the preparation, processing, storage, or sale of cottage food products by a cottage food operation; however, a cottage food operation must comply with the conditions for the operation of a home-based business under s. 559.955.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

As Keith referenced, Florida updated its cottage food law in 2021, and now localities (like Miami Dade) can’t prohibit cottage food businesses.

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.