Skip to main content

Florida

Miami Dade and Cottage food law

This topic contains 16 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  David Crabill 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author

agnes

Hi, I would like to know what could I do if I want to sell little cakes, operating from my house in Miami Dade. I see that Miami Dade doesn’t like Cottage Food law. Which are my options? How could I start my little business?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Agnes, I don’t like being the bearer of bad news, but I have to be honest by saying that aside from you moving to a another county, or getting the law in Miami-Dade changed, there is not a way for you to legally sell your homemade goods. You need a license and need to be making your items in a commercial kitchen, unless you want to run your business under-the-table, which many startup bakers do.

Miami-Dade is the only county I know of (so far) that doesn’t allow cottage food operations. For you to operate in another county, you do need to be living there, so you would not be able to use a friend’s kitchen in another county.

Heather Baird
    Participant

What are the rules on living in Broward but selling in Dade? I can’t find any information on that.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

You would not be able to sell there, because of their policy.

Susy de la Zerda

Hi David, I just found this site and it has been very helpful!
    Just to make sure… Miami Dade doesn’t allow cottage foods? so there is no way for us to sell legally, unless we do the “regular license”?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Susy, that’s all correct as far as I know. I haven’t heard anything different.

hg

So… food managers license, register company name with miami dade county, rent a co-op kitchen..follow label/package law requirements. from there, the green light to sell anywhere?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Yes, if you have a commercial license from the health dept, you’d be relatively unrestricted.

ayo79

This is the first time I’ve heard that Miami-Dade County doesn’t permit the CF law! 2 years ago, I worked at several farmers markets in Miami-Dade, and there were numerous people selling goods under the CF law, including myself. I was thinking about getting back into this, and am wondering if this is something new?? Where does the law state this?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

One thing that complicates things is that CFOs do not need a permit from the ag dept, so most probably don’t check with the ag dept before starting their business. But from what I’ve heard, in Miami-Dade a CFO would get stopped if an inspector walked through the market.

It is actually what the law doesn’t state that matters. It doesn’t say that ag depts can’t prohibit CFOs, so in Miami-Dade’s case, they created a local ordinance to prohibit them. It should be written somewhere in the county’s books.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.