Skip to main content

Florida

Labels

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Crabill 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

AMADEO

Hello David,
    This coming weekend I am participating at a market selling jams under the cottage law.
    Q: text on the labels:
    Home Made Organic Raspberry Jam
    Ingredients: Organic Raspberries, Organic Cane Sugar, Fresh Lemon Juice, Fruit Pectin. Refrigerate after opening. Net Wt 9oz.
    Is this ok?

I would like to thank you in advance.
    Looking forward to hear back from you.
    Best regards.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

That label wouldn’t be legal. You might be able to use the word “organic” in your ingredients list, if you meet certain requirements. Here’s an overview about organic labeling: http://forrager.com/faq/#organic

AMADEO

Dear David,
    I read FAQ, and where it says: For most cottage food operations, it is easiest to leave the term “organic” off the label.
    I do buy fruits and sugar from certified USDA Organic producers and keep records of all organic ingredients. 99%+ is organic, only fresh lemon juice is not.
    Can I still use the term organic in the label? Because of that word most.
    Looking forward to hear back from you.
    Best regards.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

The USDA says that you can still use the word to identify “organic sugar” or other organic products on your ingredients list only, as long as you do the following:

• Prevent commingling with non-organic products and contact with prohibited substances.
    • Meet the USDA organic labeling requirements.
    • Maintain records for at least three years that prove that the quantity of organic products sold were organically produced and handled.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.