Skip to main content

Florida

is it legal?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  William Bell 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

julio d manso

I am interested in producing and selling mullet spread (paste). is it under the prohibited foods?

I live in Hillsborough county, if I would have no choice but to produce this product at a commercial scale, what particular license will cover food processors?

can you please help me?

it seems that it will required an extensive search. licenses from FWLC, USADA, ETC….

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Anything with meat, including seafood, is not allowed under the Florida cottage food law. You need to use a commercial kitchen, and you should contact your health dept. http://forrager.com/faq/#commercial

julia

Do you have to bake out of your house in order to fall under the cottage law? For instance, can one rent a building and bake there, then do delivery only? The building would not be accessible to public.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Yes, you need to use only your home kitchen.

julia

Is it legal to have an office type setting for customers to pick up thier cakes and pies?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

No, you can’t sell via an office or other type of business / store front. You can only sell your products at your home, a farmers market, a roadside stand, or at certain types of events. You can also deliver your products to a customer.

julia

What if we rent a kitchen to bake, then have office for sales and pick up. Then we would just need a business licence and kitchen we rent has to be inspected for our business right? Sorry, just trying to find best route to go. My partner and i started our cottage kitchen last November and we are getting really big. We rent a unit in a plaza and in process of remodeling now. Just really looking for some help.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

It sounds like it’s time for you to go the commercial route. The cottage food law was mainly setup as an easier avenue for someone to start a food business. I would assume that if you wanted to get bigger, you wouldn’t want to be restricted to the $15,000 sales cap of the cottage food law anyway.

CFOs can only use a residential kitchen, so it wouldn’t even be possible for you to rent a kitchen and still run your business under the cottage food law. You need to rent a commercial kitchen and call the health dept to learn about getting a license.

Naia Castro Morales

Helo, I live in Naples, and I am plannin get in to a Cottage Food based on bakery products. I havr been resersh and I have not clear information about if I can make my products in the rental apartment were I live?
    And I don’t find nothing about have a pet in home and if there any regulations regarding this.
    Do ypu have any infomation about that?

William Bell

Is making Hot Sauce allowed under Florida Cottage Laws?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.