Skip to main content

Florida

Florida Soup Kitchen

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Crabill 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Sonja

I have recently been researching as to what is actually permitted in Florida along the lines of making food from my home kitchen and selling it.
    I feel as if I am getting mixed information about it, maybe you could please clarify.

To see if my idea would even work before getting into a business location ect, I want to test and see if in fact my food will sell.
    In order to do this I thought about starting a business from my home kitchen and selling my products to customers. My idea was to start with prepared soup. I would make it weekly and then deliver to the customers that ordered it from me.

I plan to get customers by word of mouth. Even if I were allowed, I guess I could advertise via internet or local neighborhood monthly newspaper.

According to your website this seems to be allowed only if I make less then 15,000 a year and deliver? Other sites (sba.gov) state that you can not cook commercially from your residence for profit?

Thanks in advance for any insight you could give me.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Sonja, one of the reasons cottage food laws were created was to help entrepreneurs test out their business idea without going through the whole process of becoming a commercial food processor.

You should know that cottage foods cannot be temperature controlled, and therefore prepared soup would not fall under the cottage food law. If you still wanted to test out your idea, you could do this by making dry soup mixes and selling those instead.

The general idea behind the sale limitation of $15,000 is that once you get to that point, you’re ready to get licensed as a commercial food processor.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.