Skip to main content

Florida

Empanadas

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  David Crabill 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Elena
    Participant

Hello,
    My mother in law is considering selling empanadas from her home. I’m a little confused about if empanadas fall under the “allowed” category. If they are not considered an allowed category what information do we need to know to start selling from her home? Thank you so much in advance.

Cottage Oven

From the “Cottage Food Guidance” PDF file available from the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services website:

Can I make and sell foods with meat fillings such as empanadas?
    No. Meat products or foods with meat fillings are not allowed.

Thus, she may NOT sell them from her home. The sale of meat-filled empanadas requires a commercial kitchen and a proper license (e.g. mobile food vendor).

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Although she can’t sell meat empanadas from home, she should be able to sell homemade fruit empanadas.

Elena
    Participant

Hi,
    Thank you so much for getting back to me. Ok, so I understand that meat empanadas are not permitted. Is there a way to apply for a license/permit and have a kitchen inspection done in order to sell meat empanadas?
    Thanks again!

David Crabill
    Keymaster

The only way to legally sell meat empanadas is to use a commercial kitchen and get licensed with the health dept. Most likely you would rent someone else’s at an hourly rate. Here’s some more info about finding a commercial kitchen: https://forrager.com/faq/#commercial-kitchen

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.