Skip to main content


Selling Candy at Private Events and Custom Orders

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Jason M. 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • #37413

    Kara B.

    I make candy. Mostly chocolate. I want to start selling it. I’m going to start with taking custom orders and selling at private events (events with a lot of people but not open to the general public). What do I need for this? I’ve been told that I’d be fine with just bringing them, pre-made and pre-packaged but suddenly I’m being told that I’d need a industrial grade kitchen, food certifications, and even a business license (partly just because I was thinking of giving it a name). I do have a food sanitation certification. I studied this in college and with an internship a few years ago and I don’t remember any of these being needed for something simple as candy being sold privately. So which is right? I’m so confused and am getting very discouraged.

    As I started, currently, it’s just general chocolate. I make stuff for my co-workers and a few friends (free of charge) quite often. I’ve also done chocolate covered cookies (Oreos) and pretzels and would like to expand into chocolate covered fruits and graham crackers as well, if that makes any difference.


    David Crabill

    It is possible that you can sell them at private events and make them in your home kitchen, but it entirely depends on what state you live in. Where do you live?


    Jason M.

    I am looking to find any and all law requirements for candy making here in Missouri.
    I understand Baked Candy (specific kinds) being acceptable, but where is an acceptable source of info, pertaining to baked or chilled, or dehydrated, etc…?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.