Skip to main content

Confections

From home kitchen to commercial kitchen

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Don 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Don
    Participant

Hello all,

I’m facing a challenge. The candy I’m making from home kitchen exhibits desired flavor. Ingredients include chocolate. Batch size small: 24 candies. Ceramic pot.

However, when I started to experiment with a large stainless steel pot for a large batch production, the candy tastes bland (undesirable).

Both process uses similar heat level.

What’s wrong? How to fix it?
    Large ceramic pot seems difficult to find if that matters.

Thanks.
    P.S. Forgive me for not getting into the specific of what candy it is.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

It’s very common for recipes to need to be adjusted when scaling. I don’t know why scientifically, but ask anyone who tried to scale their recipe for commercial production, and you’ll hear a similar story.
    That being said, it doesn’t seem like you’re scaling it that much, so I’d recommend borrowing someone’s larger ceramic pot and trying it out. It might not be the stainless steel that’s causing the problem.
    And if it is the pot, I’d suggest relying on your smaller pot for long enough for your business to generate enough money to buy a larger pot.

Don
    Participant

Thanks David. Resolved. When I reviewed the entire process and found one ingredient was not in correct proportion and another, heat level.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.