Skip to main content

Commercial

Anybody know of a good copacker that they can recommend for a dog treat company?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  JerUtere 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

JD

Anybody know of a good copacker that they can recommend for a dog treat company we are starting?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

I really have no idea. Since homemade pet treats are usually not allowed to be sold, and cottage food operations usually don’t use copackers, this is out of my range of expertise. Perhaps your ag dept would be familiar with how others do it.

John smith

This isn’t even remotely true. Because the treats are not meant for human consumption, requirements are fewer. You absolutely may sell homemade treats.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

John, could you provide some references to back up your claim? It’s not about the requirements being “more” or “less” — it’s just that the requirements are different because they’re managed by a different dept. I wouldn’t be surprised if some states allow homemade pet food, but I haven’t yet confirmed that any do. Many states require animal feed to be produced in an approved, inspected facility.

JerUtere

All above told the truth. We can communicate on this theme. Here or in PM.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.