Skip to main content

California

Two CFO operating from the same home kitchen

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  John 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

John
    Participant

Hi,

Is it allowed for two people who live in the same home such as husband and wife to each obtain his/her CFO permit and share their home kitchen to do the baking?

How the $50,000 gross sales is enforced by the environmental health services? do you need to send a copy of your taxes fillings to them?

Thanks.
    John

Sandie

In San Diego, they say that two separate people could run their own cottage food business out of the same house as long as it was their primary residence, and they both used the primary kitchen. The health department would just need to make sure that each business maintained their own designated storage areas for their food and equipment.

John

Hi Sandie,

Thank you so much for the answer. Would you please let me know who are you referring to when you stated “they say that two separate people…..” I need to know the source of the information.

Thanks in advance.
    John

David Crabill
    Keymaster

I think Sandie is referring to the health dept.

This is county-dependent, though. I would not expect most counties to allow two CFOs to operate from the same kitchen.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Regarding the sales limit question from the original post, it’s not specifically “enforced”… it’s more of an honor roll thing. But it’s good to think of the cottage food law as an umbrella. If you stay within the rules and the law, you are under the umbrella and protected to a certain degree. If you don’t follow the rules and someone sues you, then you’re in a much more vulnerable position. You do have to report yearly business income but it’s not like the health dept will be checking it. If someone really didn’t care about staying legal and following the law, then they would just disregard it and sell food without any license, which is pretty common.

John

Hi David,

Thanks for the answers, most appreciated.

John

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.