Skip to main content

California

Starting Up – Help!!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  David Crabill 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

aileen
    Participant

Hello –

I’m interested in starting up a CFO in Alameda County. Can someone please help me with the questions below? Thanks!!

1. How does one register to become a CFO? I see an application posted on the website, but where do I submit the application?
    2. Is a business license required to operate a CFO?
    3. Does submitting the application (and hopefully subsequent approval) count as getting approval by the the local planning committee / health department?
    4. What additional permits and fees are required to be fully functional?
    5. Am I limited to only selling products in my registered county? Can I sell in other counties?
    6. For each new product, is it required to submit labels for approval? Can I add new products subsequently or must all products be included on the initial application?

chad
    Participant

1 Call them and ask 2 Most counties yes 3 I had to get approval from my city (Upland) first depends ask the county people. 4 If you mean fully functional as in making your products find out what your approved food list is for your county. I have recently branched out into four different counties. My county initially did not have a County approved Food List but these other counties demanded one. So that opened up a whole new set of problems.(I make jams,jellies and seasonal breads) 5 Be kind and learn the law it changed . Yes you can sell in other counties ask for permission from the County you want to sell in. The law was amended and the wording is we can sell if we have permission from the county we want to sell in. Again be kind and ask it will get you everywhere. 6 Yes get approval yes you can add products. Hope this helps

David Crabill
    Keymaster

To add to what Chad wrote:
    1. Many allow you to email it, though some require snail mail or hand delivery. Only a few have an online form submission.
    3. It does not count as getting zoning approval… that approval will likely be a prerequisite to completing your health dept application.
    4. It greatly varies by county. This might help.
    5. My understanding was that you only need permission to sell elsewhere if you are selling indirectly. You should be able to directly sell in-person anywhere in the state.
    6. This varies by county. Some require initial submission of all label variations, and some charge another fee whenever you want to add a product.

Cottage Foods Sandie

More clarification — mostly that it will be county and/or city specific.
    For instance, in San Diego County, some cities allow CFO permits to be issued prior to obtaining a local business license; for others, license is required before CFO permitting. Some localities also have a Home Occupation addendum to the permit for home-based businesses.

San Diego generally will not let you sell (directly or indirectly) with a CFO permit outside of San Diego County.

In San Diego county, all products (and flavors, variations, etc.) have to have labels pre-approved. During the permit review process they will do about a dozen product labels (included in the cost of the permit application). Beyond that, if it takes them any part of another hour, it will cost another $142 for each additional hour required. So, if you want to add products mid-year in your permit, it will cost at least another $142 to do so.

By law, the cost for the SD Environmental Health department’s time is $142/hour. (A CFO B permit requires a home visit so that permit is $284/year!) They have no provision for partial hours.

It is illegal for a local municipality planning department to restrict you from operating a CFO in a residential area. Some towns try to do that. Don’t let them :)

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Those are some crazy costs for label approval!

How can they not allow you to sell directly outside of San Diego County when the law specifically allows it?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.