Skip to main content

California

Shipping

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Crabill 9 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Sean

As far as the delivery of the product to the customer, I understand that the only method of direct sale for an online purchase is driving it to the purchasers location. Is there a way to potentially hire a carrier service to do the delivery service for you if you’re not comfortable making the delivery yourself? Are there any potential updates in California law that might allow this? Do we know why UPS/FedEx aren’t allowed if the goods are non potentially hazardous? Thank you for all of the information, this site is tremendous.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

As a CFO, you are allowed one employee. It is possible to consider a delivery driver to be your one employee.

The intent of the direct sales limitation is to provide accountability by having the producer and consumer meet in-person. Online sales and shipping bypasses that personal interaction, and I think that’s why it isn’t allowed. However, since Class B CFOs are held accountable through a kitchen inspection, and are thereby allowed indirect sales, I don’t understand why they can’t ship. I don’t know of any upcoming changes to the law.

sean

Thank you for your reply and insight on the manner. Do you know if it would be possible to count a 1099 contractor for this purpose and have them count as the one employee or do they have to be w-2?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

There probably isn’t a written rule about that. I’d say a contractor would be fine. The important point is that it’s only one person.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.